One person’s opinion…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One person’s opinion…

I am off today and have the time to express what I believe to best for this country. I am off today and therefore, I will express what I believe to be the best course for this country and what I fear may ultimately be what we have in store – for at least the next four years.

Ask yourself, what has made America and American’s great? I humbly submit, it is the motivation of the individual – the right of the individual to dream, to attempt to achieve without undue government interference into what he or she believes to be in his or her best interest.

Government, despite the promises of many politicians, the least of which includes our beloved Mr. Obama, is not the answer to any single individual’s problems. What has made America great is not the benevolence of government but the work of the individual – the individual who works 14, 15, etc…hours a day to ensure a better life for himself or herself and, indeed, others….it is not for that individual to involuntarily divest himself (gender neutral - people) of gains and bestow riches upon others who do not have the same ambition.

“Fairness” is not, and I repeat not, transferring hard earned gains to those that lack the ability or the drive to achieve such gains. “Fairness” is the opportunity to achieve such gains through hard work. “Fairness” is to create a climate where everyone has a chance to increase the size of the economic pie.

Government – no matter the context – can never satisfy the needs of those who strive for excellence. Government will not be, nor throughout history has ever been, the answer to any problems. Government is a necessary evil. Government should exist to provide certain fundamental securities --- the rest is up to the individual and the individual alone.

There are those that believe that government is and should be the answer, there are those that assert that government should intervene to establish “fairness”– I ask what is “fairness”? I submit that those that subscribe to such theories fail to understand (or agree with) that the liberties envisioned by our founding fathers are exactly what has made this country the greatest civilization the world has ever known (and yes, that is a bit egoistic). It never ceases to amaze me that the wisdom and forethought of the framers of our Constitution and government – continues to be so applicable in modern times.

Well put. I've never been able to figure out why some think the gov't is the answer to everything. Outside of protecting the people (military) there is very little I really want from them. Sadly, the federal gov't keeps taking more and more power and creating more and more crap to "take care" of us. And at the same time, the states have less and less say about what goes on and most seem to be okay with that and not wanting to take responsibility anymroe.

America became the great country she is and the inspiration to the world by allowing her people to be themselves and try and make the most out of their lives.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, rely on gov't to tax those that can so they don't have to try....
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Maggie, that is such outdated thinking. What could a bunch of 18th-century patriots have possibly known about 21st-century Amerika?

But seriously, very well said! :good:

It's just a shame our two major parties or the judges they appoint no longer subscribe to that way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        It's just a shame our two major parties or the judges they appoint no longer subscribe to that way of thinking.
        American Exceptionalism and Construstionalist judges just don't buy as many votes!

"A Democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only last until the citizens discover they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that the Democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy, to be followed by a dictatorship, and then a monarchy."
        This quote is similar and is in the back of mind when "Hope" and "Change" are used as code words for Redistribution.

I am reminded that the studies of R. G. LeTourneau show that the average age of the world's great governments has been 200 years, and that the general steps through which they progressed and regressed were: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from abundance to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back again to bondage.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Neal Boortz had a bit of this on his radio show.

When you have voters this well informed do the issues matter? :(

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
            Neal Boortz had a bit of this on his radio show.

When you have voters this well informed do the issues matter? :(
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
            X